Why Grass Fed?
Our bison’s diet consists entirely of native grasses and vegetation that naturally grow on our ranch. During the winter months, they are fed locally sourced grass hay. They are never given corn, grain or animal-based feed, and that’s a practice that is never going to change.
The grass fed diet has several benefits, which include:
Many of our customers insist that our meat “tastes the way meat should taste.” Those old enough to remember what meat tasted like before modern ranching practices know that meat was once savory, complex, and full of flavor, instead of today’s mostly dull flavor.
Grass fed bison meat tastes like the meat raised a century ago, before hormones, steroids, or grain-based feed was introduced into modern ranching practices.
Our soil, water, and grasses all play a role in the quality of our meat – which is why we take such extraordinary care of our land to ensure that every component of our bison’s diet is as clean and pure as possible.
Grass fed bison has a significant advantage over grain-fed bison in terms of nutrient portfolio. Fat content in particular is significantly different between grass and grain fed bison. Grass fed bison meat is leaner and typically more tender as well. However, the actual type of fat differs as well. Grass fed bison has:
- As much as 5x the amount of omega-3 fatty acids as grain fed bison
- Twice as much conjugated linoleic acid (said to reduce body weight among other benefits)
- Significantly less saturated fat (linked to heart disease)
The benefits of grass fed bison meat doesn’t just end there. Grass fed bison meat also contains more of the following vitamins and nutrients:
- Vitamin A and it’s carotenoid precursor beta carotene, which aids in vision, skin health, and much more.
- Vitamin E – the antioxidant that is mostly responsible for protecting your cells from oxidative damage.
- Macronutrients like potassium, iron, zinc, and phosphorus, which are essential to the health of the human body.
So not only does grass fed bison meat taste better, but it’s also better for you as well. We are confident that you will enjoy the taste of our bison meat. From the very first bite, you’ll notice the difference between our superior quality meat and that of which you would purchase elsewhere.